Maryborough Portside – Bringing Life Back To Wharf Street, Bringing Portside Back To Life!
Attractions at Maryborough Portside.
Queens Park is heritage-listed and one of Australia's earliest botanic gardens. Enjoy live brass band performances in the Rotunda on the last full weekend of each month.
Visit the Fairy Fountain which has been part of the circular gardens since 1905. Miss Janet Melville bequeathed the Fairy Fountain and Band Rotunda in memory of her brother Andrew, who was Mayor of Maryborough in 1863.
The Cannons, overlooking the river, were presented to the city as a gift from the Royal Australian Navy and installed in 1914.
The Walker's Ship Memorial was built to represent the bow of a ship and was dedicated in 1993. It features the names of ships built for The Royal Australian Navy by Walkers Shipyards from 1940 to 1974, during which time 37 ships were launched into the Mary River.
Maryborough's Bollards are seven colourful bollards overlooking the Mary River. They represent a sea captain welcoming a family of immigrants landing at the Port of Maryborough in the 1860s.
The Maryborough Match Making Machine
An imagined history and public artwork by Russell Anderson.
In the mid to late 1880s, 154 immigration ships delivered more than 22,000 people to the Port of Maryborough, including many young, unmarried women. It was not long before the colonial bachelors of Maryborough eagerly pursued these ladies in courtship.
In 1862 an enterprising ad salesman at the local paper struck on the idea to provide a one-stop-shop for both match making and marriage licensing. To keep costs down the process was automated and a match making apparatus was installed on the footpath down by the docks. See the Match Making Machine on the corner of Wharf and Richmond Streets.
In the Portside Precinct, there are approximately 13 heritage-listed buildings that are now museums, restaurants and galleries. The Bond Musuem features earthen floors and ancient handmade bricks that epitomise the historic era.
J.E. Brown Warehouse, a solid brick warehouse, was built in 1879. In later years, the premises was used for dances, balls, boxing tournaments, a restaurant, and currently houses the Maryborough Military & Colonial Museum.
The Court House was built in 1877 on the site of the first Immigration Barracks and remains true to its original style. The Court Room is a magnificent example of the courts of the era.
Customs House Residence – This grand home was built at the same time as the Customs House for the Customs Sub-Collector and his family.
The Maryborough Heritage Centre was built for the Bank of New South Wales in 1878. Iron columns support verandahs decorated with fine iron lace balustrades and wrought iron.
Mary River Parklands is a riverside park built on the site of the original Port of Maryborough. The 500 square-metres of landscaped parkland offer natural terracing, community forecourt, outstanding public arts works, winding pathways, gardens, magnificent royal palms and advanced shade trees.
Visit Gatakers Artspace, a community arts and cultural hub catering to a range of creative activities including visual arts, performers, musicians, writers photographic groups and dance. Outside, stroll through a landscaped lane called the Portside Passage where you will view works of art reflecting Maryborough's rich history.
Pamela Travers, the author of the famous 'Mary Poppins' was born in Maryborough in 1899. Visit the former bank building where she was born as Helen Lyndon Goff. A life sized bronzed statue of Mary Poppins has been erected on the corner of Kent and Richmond Streets. Celebrate Mary Poppins Festival week, the only one of its kind in the world, during the June-July school holidays.